Kiwi is in for a data-light trading week! So, which catalysts can potentially move the comdoll around? Here’s a list.
Governor Orr’s speech (Dec 5, 12:00 am GMT)
- Reserve Bank of New Zealand kept its rates steady at 1.00% in November, though it warned that it’s “prepared to act” if required
- Orr could give clues on the “unconventional monetary policy” tools that RBNZ is preparing to publish soon
U.S.-China trade updates
- All eyes will be on what the Trump administration will do to the additional tariffs scheduled on December 15
- China’s “strong counter-measures” against the U.S. supporting Hong Kong protesters’ rights could also affect U.S.-China trade negotiations
- EUR/NZD is “bearish” in the short-term SMAs and “bullish but weakening” on the longer-term SMAs
- Short-term SMAs tag NZD/USD, NZD/CAD, NZD/JPY and NZD/CHF as “bullish” and longer-term SMAs see them as “bearish but weakening.” Watch out for short-term retracements or longer-term reversals!
- NZD has been most volatile against GBP, EUR, JPY, and CAD for the past month
Missed last week’s price action? Read NZD’s price recap for November 25 – 29!