No data? No problem! Sterling might take cues from commentary by BOE officials scheduled throughout the week.
Here’s what’s coming up:
BOE officials’ speeches
- BOE Guv’nah Bailey to deliver opening remarks at the Climate Financial Risk Forum on June 29, 10:30 am GMT
- MPC member Vlieghe to give a speech titled “Observed macroeconomic tail risk and asset prices: new long term evidence” at the BOE’s Asset Pricing Workshop on June 29, 1:30 pm GMT
- MPC member Haldane to speak about the impact that COVID-19 has had on the UK and global economies at a webinar on June 30, 11:00 am GMT
- MPC member Haskel to speak about his role on the MPC and what the UK recovery will look like at a webinar on July 1, 12:00 pm GMT
- Remarks from U.K. central bank officials could spur additional volatility for GBP pairs as these might hint at future policy decisions
- Trade talks between the EU and U.K. officials are set to proceed this week, with Johnson and von der Leyen recently softening their stances
- The key issue to look out for involves keeping state aid, environmental, and employer regulations aligned, as well as fishing rights and governance
- Stochastic shows that most pound pairs are giving off bullish vibes in the oversold region.
- In particular, Cable, Guppy, GBP/CHF, and GBP/AUD are oversold while EUR/GBP is overbought.
- If you’re looking to trade GBP pairs this week, this table on their average daily volatility could help in setting exit levels.