Partner Center Find a Broker

While we didn’t see much follow-through in price action during the Asia session, the European session traders were ready to jump in the momentum sparked by the Fed yesterday. Unfortunately, there was no pullback higher for USD/CHF and no trade for me.

Before you move on, for those who are not familiar with my framework, signals, setups, or acronyms, please visit my discretionary trading framework blog.

Not much explanation is needed on this one as we can see on the chart above, traders were getting into USD sell mode as soon as Europe opened up for trading. The pair quickly dropped from the consolidation area, avoiding my entry orders and nearly hitting my profit target on the day.

I probably should have gone in at market like my homegirl Happypip on her AUD/USD trade. With the US session ready to close up shop, I thought it would be time to close my own orders down for the day. No trade.

It looks like we’re seeing a pullback on the USD selloff, but with the Fed decision on rates a new game-changer, it is a pullback that may only be temporary. I will continue to look for short opportunities on the Greenback for now until we see a new catalyst in the markets. Thanks for checking out my blog, good luck and good trading!

Trade Idea

Good evening! I’m looking at a technical setup on USD/CHF that may continue to find support from the Fed’s latest decision on interest rates. Will the downtrend continue?

Today was FOMC interest rate decision day, and they did things a bit differently this time by extending their pledge to hold their target federal funds rate from 2013 to late 2014. This was a bit of a surprise given the recent positive data from the US, so we got a pretty big reaction in the currencies.

We saw a broad USD sell-off and it just may continue in upcoming Asia and European sessions. Let’s remember, these events come out after the European close, so Asia and European traders won’t get a chance to play the sentiment shift until Thursday’s session.

I have the 60m chart up above, and we can see the pair grinding lower with the lower “highs” and lower “lows.” The saying goes that the “trend is your friend,” so I look to short this pair if we see a bounce higher. I threw up the Fibonacci tool, and I’d like to go short where the Fibs line up with the previous consolidation area as it may have become an area of resistance.

My stop will be half of the daily ATR and my target will be a minor support area last seen at the end of November. Here’s what I am going to do:

Short USD/CHF .9260, stop at .9310, pt at .9150

Remember to never risk more than 1% of a trading account on any single trade. Adjust position sizes accordingly. Risk Disclosure.

This trade structure gives me a potential 2:1 return-on-risk, and because it is a day trade, I am reducing my risk to 0.50% of my account.

As always, if the market environment shifts on a new catalyst, I’ll be sure to adjust my open orders or open position quickly. Thanks for checking out my blog…good luck and good trading!

This content is strictly for informational purposes only and does not constitute as investment advice. Trading any financial market involves risk. Please read our Risk Disclosure to make sure you understand the risks involved.