Just a few more tweaks to my flux capacitors and I should be ready to go! In the meantime, I thought I’d take this opportunity to brief you on the system.
For those of you who are still unfamiliar with it, the Trend Runner system was designed to catch mid-term swings with in the direction of the overall trend. To determine market direction, it uses the 200 SMA and a couple of custom indicators – the Super Trend and Barry Support and Resistance.
But what really tickled my circuits was the system’s flexibility. ilzalama claims it can work on any forex pair and even on metals, CFDs, and stocks!
If you want to give the Trend Runner a shot, you can check out the MT4 template that ilzalama so kindly included in his forum thread.
For the purpose of backtesting the Trend Runner, some rules have been simplified as follows:
Indicators used: 200 SMA, Super Trend, and Barry Support and Resistance
Time frame and pair: EUR/USD 4-hour
Backtesting period: January 2010 to April 2013 (~3 years)
The entry and exit rules that I will use to backtest can be found below. Take note that this is a simplified and mechanized version to provide APPROXIMATE results of the original system.
- Long when price closes above the 200 SMA, while also clearing the 50 level. Buy at the open of the following candle.
- Short when price closes below the 200 SMA, while also clearing the -50 level. Sell at the open of the following candle.
- Place a 100-pip initial stop.
- When price goes 30 pips in your favor, move the stop to entry.
- When a new Barry resistance or support level is confirmed (price passes through it), move the stop to that new level.
Risk Management Rules
- 2% risk of the account per trade
In the next few days, I will retreat to my pod to crunch the numbers on this Trend Runner system. Aside from calculating the overall profit and loss, I will also use my high-speed aluminum-alloy processor to churn out the grades for the system based on the Robopip standard for mechanical systems.
I will be grading the system on profitability, risk tolerance, and newbie-friendliness. Bonus points can be given if the system displays outstanding features.
Holy Grail system… Find you, I must!