Partner Center Find a Broker

Good morning to all of you Asia session forex friends! The Bank of Japan came out with its latest decision on monetary policy, and it looks like it wasn’t what I was expecting. Since it wasn’t what I hoped for, I took action and adjusted quickly.

Before you move on, for those who are not familiar with my framework, signals, setups, or acronyms, please visit my discretionary trading framework blog.

Not much to say on this trade as the chart above says it all. The Bank of Japan added another 10T yen to its asset purchase program as the market speculated, and traders are now dumping more yen as I type this blog post out. As soon as I saw the news on Twitter, I immediately closed my position manually (78.99) as I had planned to earlier.

Total: -41 pips/ -0.37% loss

The good: I’m glad I kept the risk small and more importantly, that I acted immediately in closing the position. In the past, I’d usually let it ride, even if the data was obviously not in my trade’s favor.

The bad: I’m reminded of the difficulty of playing individual events, no matter how convinced I am of what the outcome of data, or event, maybe. This doesn’t mean I’ll stop doing smaller plays on individual events, it’s just that I have a lot more practice and learning to do.

For now, the yen may continue to sell off into the European and US session, so we may see 80.00 before the end of the day. Be safe and on the lookout for increased volatility when those sessions open. Good luck and good trading!

Trade Idea: 2012-09-17 23:10 ET

Good evening forex friends! My boy Big Pippin spotted a nice channel on USD/JPY, so I broke it down to the lower timeframes and saw a nice setup to short again.

In today’s Daily Chart Art, Big Pippin highlighted a falling channel on the daily USD/JPY chart. Coupled with my fundamental reasons to short (which I’ll share in a sec), I drilled down to the one-hour time frame as shown above and saw regular bearish divergence as well. This comes as the pair hits the top of that falling channel, which to me is a high probability setup that we may see a reversal.

On the fundamental side, we just saw the US Federal Reserve light up the markets with an unlimited quantitative easing program that should put pressure on the Greenback for the time being. On the other side of the currency pair, we have the Bank of Japan monetary policy meeting this week and speculation is afloat that we may get currency intervention from them as the Yen pushes back towards all-time highs, levels that continue to hurt their export sector.

Personally, I’m in the camp that thinks we won’t see action this week as it is too close to the actions just taken by the ECB and Fed. Would it do much good as those two monstrous programs take off? I’m thinking not…

So, I look to short the pair at market for a day/swing trade and target last week’s low just above 77.00. But since we still haven’t gotten past the Bank of Japan (BOJ) decision this week, I look to keep my position relatively small and adjust as soon as the BOJ event passes. Here’s what I am going to do:

Short half position USD/JPY at market (78.58), stop at 79.15, profit target at 77.15

Remember to never risk more than 1% of a trading account on any single trade. Adjust position sizes accordingly. Risk Disclosure.

With this trade structure, I have just over a potential 2.5:1 return-to-risk ratio and depending on what the BOJ does decide, I may scale into the position to maximize the return if the market goes my way.

Of course, surprise events are always lurking around the corner, so I’ll be ready to adjust in case we see something unexpected. Stay in the loop.

Thanks for checking out my blog…good luck and good trading!

This content is strictly for informational purposes only and does not constitute as investment advice. Trading any financial market involves risk. Please read our Risk Disclosure to make sure you understand the risks involved.