Partner Center Find a Broker

I’m seeing a classic reversal pattern on the daily time frame of NZD/USD, but I wanna wait for more bearish confirmation before hopping in. Check out my trade idea!

NZD/USD Trade Setup

As I’ve shown y’all in my Comdoll Trading Kit for this week, NZD/USD is forming a head and shoulders pattern, signaling that the recent uptrend might reverse. Price has yet to break below the neckline around the .7050 level to confirm the potential selloff, and this support zone lines up with the mid-channel area of interest visible on the longer-term charts.

A break below this level could send the Kiwi down by 400 pips or the same height as the chart pattern or at least until the channel support around .6850-.6900. Stochastic is pointing down so there’s some selling pressure left, but the oscillator is already dipping into the oversold region.

NZD/USD Daily Forex Chart
NZD/USD Daily Forex Chart

Because of that, I’m inclined to wait for a break of the head and shoulders neckline first then consider entering on a pullback. There’s no shortage of catalysts from both the U.S. and New Zealand this week so I think we’ll see enough volatility for this pair.

For today’s New York session we’ve got the U.S. retail sales figures for October, with the headline report expected to show another 0.6% uptick and the core reading projected to post a 0.5% gain. Soon after, it will be New Zealand’s turn to release its quarterly retail sales readings and weaker results are eyed compared to the previous period, possibly giving the Kiwi a push lower.

Since I won’t be able to watch price action around those times, I’ll just have to wait until the next Asian session to see how the reports turn out and if my trade idea is still valid by then. If price continues to consolidate above the .7050 area, it might have a few more potential movers lined up in the form of U.S. PPI and CPI, as well as New Zealand’s quarterly PPI. To top it off, Fed head Yellen has a testimony lined up in Thursday’s U.S. session and any hawkish hints could convince dollar bulls to charge again.

Here’s what I’m planning:

Short NZD/USD on a pullback to .7050, stop loss at .7325, max PT at .6625 for a 1.54-to-1 R:R. I’ll be risking 0.5% of my account on this setup and moving my stop to entry or closing partially once price tests the .6850 level.

Got any comdoll trade ideas you’d like to share? Post ’em right here! And don’t forget to check out our risk disclosure when taking any of these setups.



See also: Q3 2016 Trading Performance Review

These are some of our favorite trading books, and receives a small credit from any purchases through the Amazon links above to help support the free content and features of our site…enjoy!

This content is strictly for informational purposes only and does not constitute as investment advice. Trading any financial market involves risk. Please read our Risk Disclosure to make sure you understand the risks involved.