Trade Closed: 2012-08-06 23:30
I actually got triggered late on Thursday, as the markets were disappointed with Draghi’s comments following the ECB interest rate decision. The yen rallied, causing AUD/JPY to drop and break the support line of the pennant.
The report printed job gains of 163,000, which was way above the consensus 100,000 expectation. The markets reacted positively to the news, and we saw a strong risk rally take place, with commodities, equities, and higher-yielding currencies all edging higher. And of course, this absolutely killed my trade!
Stopped out at 82.60: -80 pips / -0.75%
Tough loss to swallow, as my fundamental analysis was initially correct and the ECB did disappoint the markets. In hindsight, one thing I could have done differently was to close my position ahead of the NFP report. Then again, there was no telling that it would come in that much higher than projected. After all, the past few releases all failed to hit their targets.
Anyway, gotta shake this loss off and move on to the next setup! Thanks for following, fellas!
Trade Idea: 2012-08-02 01:30
I happened to read Forex Gump’s dos and don’ts of trading the ECB rate decision and I realized that we have a major event risk on tap today. Since this event can cause large moves on the charts, I figured it could lead to some breakouts on the charts.
On the 4-hour chart, you can see that the pair has been hanging just below a major resistance zone.
I decided to play this trade with a bearish bias because I think the markets could end up disappointed after today’s ECB rate decision. Of course, if that happens, we’ll probably see a strong sell-off on risk aversion.
Why the bearish bias, you ask? For starters, the ECB set the bar of expectations really high last week when ECB President Mario Draghi promised to preserve the euro, so the markets are expecting a lot from today’s decision.
From what I understand, the ECB probably won’t cut rates and won’t introduce another round of its LTRO program. The move that seems most likely is the revival of the Securities Market Program, which is iffy on its own since it doesn’t have the support of Germany. In any case, I don’t think this move will be enough to satisfy the markets and lead to new highs, so I’m siding with the bears.
Sell stop at 81.80, stop loss at 82.60, profit target at 79.60.
I didn’t enter at market and instead set a sell stop below 82.00 so that if the market decides to go crazy and pop up, I’ll be safe from harm. My stop loss is just above the recent high.
As for my profit target, I’m aiming for the very bottom of the 4-hour range, though I’m open to exiting earlier if market conditions tell me to do so. I’m putting 0.75% of my account on the line because this trade offers a pretty sweet reward-to-risk ratio (2.75:1, son!).
I’d like to hear what you guys have to say about this trade idea. Share your thoughts in the comment box below!